Last week, in honor of Labor Day cookouts, I posted my husband’s grilled Beer Can Chicken recipe. This week I am posting his Grilled Liver and Onions recipe.
I do not know what liver tastes like because I am a pescatarian. I have never eaten meat. My husband however loves liver. I know that liver is very nutritious and can be tasty if cooked correctly. In this recipe my husband added fresh beets and scallions for additional flavor and nutrition.
- 12 ounces of beef liver cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red onion sliced into rings
- 2 beets chopped into large pieces
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of red chili flakes
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 large scallion, trimmed and cleaned
- Toss the beets and onions with extra virgin olive oil, cumin seeds, salt and pepper
- Heat the grill on the high setting
- Place the veggies on a piece of heavy duty foil and put on the hot grill
- Close the grill cover and the veggies until they are partially cooked. This should take about 5 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is.
- Now add the liver to the veggies
- Season the liver with a sprinkling if cumin seeds, red chili flakes, salt and pepper
- Close the grill cover and cook the liver until the edges of the liver turn opaque but the liver is not yet fully cooked through. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Place the scallion on top of the liver
- Close the grill cover and cook until the scallion is charred and the liver is cooked through. Check every 5 minutes to make sure the liver does not overcook.
Liver is an inexpensive, nutrient dense super food. It is high in protein, low in calories and full of vitamins and minerals. It used to be very popular but has fallen out of favor. Try this recipe and see if you like it.
My husband paired the Grilled Liver and Onions with a unique cocktail that he called, Chili Cherry Bourbon. I will post this cocktail recipe next week.
Please leave me a comment to let me know what you think of this recipe. Your feedback is really appreciated. 🙂