I had cauliflower and peppers on hand so I decided to create this dish. It is vegetarian and gluten free. It can be served as a side dish or a main dish.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 4 peppers
- 2 Serrano chilies (optional)
- 1/2 a bunch of parsley
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups of marinara sauce. Use your favorite. I have used a homemade mushroom marinara sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes (optional)
- 2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese (preferably grate your own)
- 6 ounce bag of shaved cheese (mix of Parmesan, Romano and Asiago)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 4 Tbsp. of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Break the cauliflower head into large florets
- Don’t throw away the stalk and leaves, instead dice up the good parts. The small bowl on upper right side shows them diced up.
- Cut the peppers in half. Remove the seeds, stems and whitish pith.
- Dice the onion
- Mince the garlic and Serrano chilies
- Remove the parsley leaves from their stems. Set aside a few for garnish. The rest will go into the food processor along with the cauliflower florets.
- Place the cauliflower florets and parsley leaves in a food processor. Pulse to make cauliflower granules.
- Coat a large, heavy stainless steel skillet with olive oil. Turn the heat to medium.
- Add the chopped onions, cauliflower stalks, garlic and Serrano chilies. Toss in the dried oregano and red chili flakes.
- Mix all the ingredients and saute until light brown.
- Add the cauliflower and parsley granules. Continue to saute until cauliflower is light brown.
- Turn off the flame and mix in the Parmesan cheese
STUFFING THE PEPPERS:
- Place the peppers in a oven proof baking dish
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Fill each pepper with a layer of cauliflower mixture, then a Tbsp. of marinara sauce. Repeat once more so the pepper is full.
- Place in a 350 F oven and bake until peppers are tender
- Pull out the cooked peppers and top with shaved cheese and a parsley leaf.
Serve as a side dish with any protein you like. If you are eating meatless, serve a larger portion as a vegetarian main dish.
ENJOY!!! Let me know your feedback by leaving a comment.