- 2 large bunches of green beans
- 2 cups of fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large bunch of cilantro leaves
- 1 small red onion
- 2 inches of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies (serrano or Thai Bird)
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons Sambal Oelek (Indonesian hot chili paste available in most U. S. markets)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (this ups the umami flavor)
- 1 teaspoon of black bean garlic sauce
- white pepper and sea salt to taste
- Trim the ends of each bean and cut it into thirds. You will end up with 4 cups of prepped beans.
- Mince the chilies, ginger and garlic
- Thinly slice the onion and mushrooms
- Tear the cilantro leaves from the stems
- Cut the lime so that we have it ready to squeeze later in the recipe
- Coat a large stainless steel skillet with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Add the onions, chilies, ginger, garlic, yellow mustard seeds and half the coriander leaves. Reserve the other half of the coriander leaves for garnish.
- Turn the flame to medium and sauté till golden brown
- Add the shiitake mushrooms
- Continue sautéing till the mushrooms are brown and caramelized
- Deglaze the pan with the fish sauce and the soy sauce
- Add the green beans along with the Sambal Oelek, the black bean/garlic sauce and the oyster sauce. Toss everything together
- Cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes. The beans will stay green and crunchy.
- Turn the flame off and leave the lid on till you are ready till serve
- Just before serving adjust the salt and pepper to taste and toss in the reserved cilantro leaves for a pop of freshness.
Serve on a platter and top off with a fresh squeeze of lime juice. Here I have served it with Asian Brown Rice Pilaf and Sesame Crusted Black Fin Tuna.
HOPE YOU LIKE IT. LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENTS.
One thought on “Green Beans & Shiitake Mushrooms”
This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try out this recipe!
LikeLiked by 2 people