- 2 large bunches of green beans
- 2 cups of fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large bunch of cilantro leaves
- 1 small red onion
- 2 inches of fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chilies (serrano or Thai Bird)
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons Sambal Oelek (Indonesian hot chili paste available in most U. S. markets)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (this ups the umami flavor)
- 1 teaspoon of black bean garlic sauce
- white pepper and sea salt to taste
- Trim the ends of each bean and cut it into thirds. You will end up with 4 cups of prepped beans.
- Mince the chilies, ginger and garlic
- Thinly slice the onion and mushrooms
- Tear the cilantro leaves from the stems
- Cut the lime so that we have it ready to squeeze later in the recipe
- Coat a large stainless steel skillet with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
- Add the onions, chilies, ginger, garlic, yellow mustard seeds and half the coriander leaves. Reserve the other half of the coriander leaves for garnish.
- Turn the flame to medium and sauté till golden brown
- Add the shiitake mushrooms
- Continue sautéing till the mushrooms are brown and caramelized
- Deglaze the pan with the fish sauce and the soy sauce
- Add the green beans along with the Sambal Oelek, the black bean/garlic sauce and the oyster sauce. Toss everything together
- Cover with a lid. Cook for 5 minutes. The beans will stay green and crunchy.
- Turn the flame off and leave the lid on till you are ready till serve
- Just before serving adjust the salt and pepper to taste and toss in the reserved cilantro leaves for a pop of freshness.
Serve on a platter and top off with a fresh squeeze of lime juice. Here I have served it with Asian Brown Rice Pilaf and Sesame Crusted Black Fin Tuna.
HOPE YOU LIKE IT. LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENTS.