I found some avocados on sale at the Indian grocery store in Austin. This is the first time that I ever saw avocados at the Indian grocery store, so I was very surprised to see them. What surprised me even more was the low, low price. Only 38 cents a piece!!!
When I got home, my neighbor had delivered some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes from his garden. I already had the mint and cilantro growing in my sun room. I feel very lucky to have such wonderful ingredients. All these fresh ingredients inspired me to make this delightful Avocado Mediterranean Salad.
- 6 avocados
- 4 Persian cucumbers
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1 Serrano chile
- 1 large lime
- 1 bunch of large mint leaves
- 1 bunch of cilantro (some people really don’t like cilantro. If you are one of these people, use flat leaf parsley instead.)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cut the avocados in half. Remove the pit. Peel them, the peel comes off easily just with the fingers. Sprinkle them with a little lime juice so they don’t turn brown.
- Dice the Persian cucumbers skin and all. This should yield 2 cups.
- Remove the seeds from the Roma tomatoes and dice them. This should yield 1/2 cup.
- Finely dice the red onion. This should yield 1/2 cup.
- Mince the Serrano chile.
- Tear the leaves off the cilantro. This should yield 1/2 cup.
- Tear the mint leaves into small pieces. This should yield 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the juice of one large lime. This should yield 1/4 cup.
Combine all of the above ingredients EXCEPT FOR THE AVOCADOS. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can also adjust the acidity to your liking by adding more lime juice if you need it. This is your Mediterranean Salad.
The Mediterranean Salad can be enjoyed on its own, but it makes an elegant and delicious presentation stuffed into an avocado.
If you can’t find Persian cucumbers, use regular cucumbers, but you will have to peel and de-seed them. Another good alternative is hot house (also called English) cucumbers. The English cucumbers are seedless and also do not need to be peeled.
Please let me know what you think by commenting below.