My neighbor brought me some fresh kale and white onions from his garden. His beautiful produce inspired me to make a breakfast skillet.
- 1 large bunch of well-washed kale. Pull the leaves off the stems. Tear them into bite-sized pieces. Don’t throw the stems away. Finely chop them and use them like you would use chopped celery.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 eggs. These lovelies came from my chickens.
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes. Use more if you want to spice it up.
- 1 fresh green chili, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Crush the oregano leaves with your hands just before using. Crushing them allows the oils to be released.
- 4 ounces of feta cheese. Use the feta you like best. I used French feta which is very creamy and made of sheep’s milk.
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Coat a large heavy duty stainless steel skillet with the olive oil. Add the diced onion, diced kale stems, minced garlic, chili and oregano.
Sauté over medium-low heat until light brown. Add the tomato paste, blend it in with a wooden spoon and continue to sauté for another minute.
Add the kale leaves. Do not stir. Cover with a lid and let steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid. The kale leaves will have turned bright green.
Stir the steamed kale leaves into the onion mixture that is sitting below. Add salt and pepper to taste. Using your wooden spoon, make 6 spaces, 1 for each egg. Break your 6 eggs open and place one in each space. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each egg. Cover with a lid and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.
Crumble the feta cheese on top. Cover with a lid and let the cheese get soft for 1 minute.
This makes a great anytime meal. My husband and I enjoyed it for our Sunday brunch. Not only is this dish delicious, it is also gluten free and figure friendly.
My friend Sachi recreated this recipe with her own modifications. Here are the photos she sent me.
Please feel free to modify my recipes based upon your own preferences, and what you happen to have on hand.