Golden beet salad is one of my favorites. I love the happy yellow color and the earthy, but mellow taste of the golden beets. The salad can be individually plated for an elegant dinner or arranged on a large platter to be served family style.
- 9 medium golden beets (these were grown by JBG Organic Farm in East Austin)
- 1 large bag of mixed greens (also from JBG Organic Farm)
- fresh thyme leaves from 2 large sprigs
- fresh oregano leaves from 1 large sprig
- extra virgin olive oil
- white balsamic vinegar
- 8oz log of goat cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Italian Spice Mix
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepping The Beets:
- Remove the tops and bottoms from each beet ( if the beet greens are fresh use them in the salad with the mixed greens) Note: these beets are so fresh that I have left the skins on. There are a lot of nutrients and fiber in the skins, so leave them on if you can.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean any dirt off the beets
- Arrange them on an ovenproof baking dish
- Coat each side with olive oil
- Sprinkle each side with salt, pepper and my Italian Spice Mix
- Roast in a 450 degree oven until tender
- Slice the beets and set aside while you prep the rest of the salad components
Prepping The Goat Cheese:
- In a pie plate, mix together, 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of my Italian Spice Mix, salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg with a pinch of salt and my Italian Spice Mix
- Cut the goat cheese log into 10 slices. We will use 8 slices for frying. Crumble up 2 slices and set aside to top the salad
- Using a pastry brush, coat each slice of goat cheese with the egg mixture. Then coat each slice of goat cheese with the panko breadcrumb mixture
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour to chill. This will allow you to fry the cheese without melting it
- Coat a non-stick skillet with olive oil. Heat the skillet to medium-high. Fry the cheese medallions till they are golden brown
- Set aside while you assemble the salad
Prepping The Salad Greens & Dressing:
- Wash the salad greens and tear them into bite size pieces. Dry the salad greens using a salad spinner
- The salad dressing is very simple. In a small jar, add 1/2 cup of the best extra virgin olive oil you have, 3 table spoons of white balsamic vinegar, oregano, thyme, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Shake to combine.
When you are ready to serve, toss the greens with the salad dressing and place in the center of a large platter. Arrange the sliced beets surrounding the salad greens. Top with the crumbled goat cheese. Finish by arranging the crispy goat cheese medallions on top.
This is a yummy and satisfying salad that can also be used as a vegetarian main course, along with some crusty bread and a glass of your favorite white wine.