Bharta served with Rotis and My Mom’s Yogurt
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
- 2 large eggplants (these were grown by my neighbor, Billy)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 chili pepper, minced
- 3 inches of ginger root, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- grape seed oil (or any other neutral flavored oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
The onion and tomato are diced. The ginger and chili are minced.
Prepping the mashed eggplant:
- Separate the garlic head into cloves. Peel the skin from each clove and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Cut slits into the eggplants and insert a piece of garlic into each slit.
- Rub each eggplant with grape see oil. Place in a baking dish and roast at 450 F until the skin becomes charred and the flesh is soft. NOTE: you will have to turn the eggplants over during the roasting process so that the skin is charred on all sides.
- Cut of the ends, score them with a fork and set aside for later.
- Discard as many of the seeds as you can and scoop out the flesh.
- Use a chef’s knife to finely mince the flesh. DO NOT USE A FOOD PROCESSOR because it will make the eggplant gummy.
- Coat a large skillet with grape seed oil. Add the onion, ginger, chili, black mustard seed , cumin and chili flakes.
- Turn the stove to medium and saute until brown (about 8 minutes)
- Add the garam masala and tumeric. Let the spices toast for about a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Saute until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the mashed eggplant and the 2 eggplant ends (when we were little my sisters and I would fight over the eggplant ends. So mom made sure there was one for each of us.) Saute for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas. Let them saute for 2 minutes.
I have served the Eggplant Bharta with Rotis and My Mom’s Yogurt. This is how my mom served it. You can use this as a side dish with anything you like.
2 thoughts on “Eggplant Bharta (curried mashed eggplant)”
This is my favorite Indian dish of all times!! So nice to see a recipe!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Thanks. I will post the roti recipe soon.
LikeLiked by 1 person