Ingredients: Serves 3
- 3 large fillets of Dover Sole (any flat, thin fish can be used)
- 2 table spoons of my Italian Spice Mix (I make it with equal parts, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, red chili flakes)
- 5 table spoons olive oil
- 1 small onion (in the photo you will see 3 tiny ones grown by my neighbor, Billy)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces frozen artichoke hearts (you can also use canned, jarred or fresh)
- 1 table spoon each of fresh oregano and fresh thyme (you can use any herbs you like)
- 1 table spoon capers
- 1 tea spoon tomato paste (optional)
- 2 large sun-dried tomatoes (yields 2 table spoons when minced)
- salt and pepper to taste (I prefer course sea salt and whole pepper corns in a grinder)
Prep: the fillets (see photo above)
- Rinse the fillets with cold water and pat dry between paper towels.
- Place dried fillets in a glass baking dish.
- Salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with Italian Spice Mix , and drizzle 1 table spoon of olive oil. Rub the mixture into the fillets and flip them. Repeat the process on the second side.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
Prep: for the filling
- Mince the onion, garlic, and capers
- Dice the artichoke hearts (center bowl)
- Separate the oregano and thyme leaves from the stems and tear into small pieces
- Mix 2 table spoons of olive oil, with the minced sun-dried tomatoes and tomato paste. (bowl with reddish liquid)
Cook: the filling
- Saute the onion and garlic in 1 table spoon of olive oil till lightly browned (add a little black pepper to taste. DO NOT add salt at this point.)
- Add the herbs, stir them in for 30 seconds (for an extra kick you can add a sprinkle of red chili flakes.)
- Add in the capers and the tomato/olive oil mixture. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Add the artichoke hearts. Saute to caramelize them until they are lightly browned. At this point, adjust the salt to your taste. You may not need additional salt because the capers are salty.
- Set aside in a glass bowl. Cool to room temperature before filling the fish fillets.
Prep: Filling the fish fillets
- Set out a piece of parchment or foil paper (I have used “Martha Wrap”. This is foil on the outside and parchment on the inside.)
- Place filling on the fillet (see photo above) and make a roll
- Place seam side down and wrap closed (see photo above)
Bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes
When you open the packet the fish will be flaky, moist and sitting in a deeply flavored savory sauce. Don’t throw the sauce away. I have plated it (sauce and all) on a bed of Buckwheat Pilaf. You can plate it on many things, such as; rice, Polenta, noodles–the endless possibilities are up to your imagination.
Hope you enjoy this. Let me know what you think.